Week 1 CYBR 325

 

This week was my first refresher and introduction to real-world applications of artificial intelligence and machine learning in cybersecurity. Before researching the topic, I mainly thought AI was used to automate tasks. While working and researching on the career path assignment I learned that its uses are much broader and can help cybersecurity professionals detect threats, analyze data, and respond to attacks.

One application I found interesting was Assala Energy’s use of an AI-powered SOC assistant. The system helps analysts review and prioritize security alerts by identifying suspicious activity and escalating important events. This can reduce alert fatigue and allow analysts to focus on more serious threats.

I was also interested in Visa’s use of AI and machine learning to detect financial fraud. The system analyzes transactions in real time using factors such as spending patterns, locations, devices, and previous fraud trends. This allows Visa to analyze huge amounts of data much faster than humans could.

Another example was Google’s use of AI to detect phishing and scams across products such as Search, Chrome, and Android. Instead of only identifying known malicious websites, AI can analyze webpage content and behavior to recognize patterns associated with scams. This showed me how AI can help identify new and emerging threats.

I also learned that AI has limitations. It can make mistakes, depend on the quality of its data, and sometimes miss real attacks or flag legitimate activity. Attackers can also use AI to create more convincing scams and attacks. Because of this, cybersecurity professionals need to understand both how AI can defend against threats and how attackers can use it against them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 7: Data Privacy

Week 3- Attackers Impersonate as Managed Devices

Week 9: Vulnerability Management